Thursday, April 8, 2010

Q&A with Amanda

Dry skin...eye primers...sunless tanners, oh my!

You asked, I answered!
Q&A with Amanda & some of her readers

Q: Kelly: "Any tips on really good under eye concealer's or eye primer?"

A: Kelly, my favorite new eye product is a must-have for anyone suffering from dark circles like me and questions if they aren't spending all night with vampires with names like Stefan, Damon, and Edward. (OK really, it's my first vampire reference all blog, sue me!)

This little gem in the cutest little tub is ironically called "Erase Paste" by
Benefit. It may seem like a splurge at $26, but it's worth every penny. It's not only a concealer but also a brightener in one. It literally erases all signs of insomnia and stress in just a few swipes. Available in three shades for all skin tones (I use medium), you can find this skin saver at Sephora or online at http://www.benefitcosmetics.com. One of my all-time favorite new products! Try it out and report back, Kel!

Q: Robin (aka my mom) asks: "How about sunless tanners?"

A: Well, mom, funny you should ask. I'm actually in the market for a new sunless tanner. I am pleased that more and more people are using these types of products rather than fake baking which has been shown to cause bad skin damage. In the beauty world, I've heard some pretty good things about this one: Sephora's Body Self-Tanning Tinted Bronzing Mist. At just $12 for a 5 oz. can, it's worth a try. Also, when shopping for a sunless tanner, always go with a light to medium shade. Anything darker and you'll look like the inside of a pumpkin.

Q: Mike comments, "My dry skin! Argh!"

A: Ahh, we've all been there. The tight dry itchy remains of winter skin. Just as we're about to pack away the wool sweaters and the down comforters we find ourselves reaching for that bottle of lotion even more. For the past few months my husband has complained about his dry hands and chapped lips, so Mike, you're not alone. But alas, products to the rescue!

I've found the best thing to start with is an exfoliating scrub on the face and body. For guys, try
Nivea for Men's Energizing Face Scrub. You can use it all over. And around $6 at any retail store, it's easy to pick up. Next, use a cleanser that has some moisture in it. That will save you a step. But if you're still feeling tight post-shower, my go-to moisturizer is Vaseline. Men -- try Vaseline's Fast Absorbing Body & Face Lotion for Men. For women -- I like their line of Cocoa Butter products.

And the cardinal rule with lotions: always avoid anything scented or with too much fragrance as that dries out skin even more.

Keep the questions coming! Until next time, stay beautiful!
-Amanda:)




3 comments:

  1. I have the under-eye problem, too, and I found that Mary Kay's Signature concealer works really well as an under-eye brightener. The best part is, all I need to use is literally just a dot for each eye. I've had this same tube for over a year (granted, I don't do my makeup every day), and still have plenty left. This is one of the only products like this where I can say a little goes a long way. Since I've had it so long, I'm not really sure if they make the Signature line anymore, but the concealers on their web site are only $10, so how can you not? I am really fair-skinned, and I use the Beige tone (but apparently they have Beige 1 and Beige 2 now).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and also, THANKS for the tips about the moisturizers for men! The B/F has the same problem with his face, so he'll be interested in this info for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amelia, I appreciate the feedback! I see you're an editor in OH too, and did I see on your blog that you're writing a book? Would love to chat more with you via email if you'd be interested in exchanging addresses!

    ReplyDelete