Monday, May 3, 2010

Carry-on Beauty

In just 30 days I'll be jetsetting to...

Yeah mon: Jamaica!

And just a few days later, I'll be back in the skies for a four night stay in wonderful Las Vegas!

All of the travel preparation I've been doing has me thinking...what's the best way to travel with your favorite products and still follow those pesky FAA rules?

So my dear readers, don't you worry your pretty little faces, we wouldn't want you getting a wrinkle, would we? So just sit back and let yours truly do the leg work for you.

I don't know about any of you, but anytime I fly I have a little internal battle with myself: to carry on or to check the bag? Ahhhh, decisions, decisions! For the first trip (Jamaica), I've decided to limit myself to one carry-on approved suitcase and a small duffel bag or large purse equivalent. I know, I know. I realize this may come as a shock to most of you that I am going to attempt to pack 5 days worth of clothing, shoes and products into just one suitcase. Those of you who know my family know we don't travel light. Well, except that is for my dear sister. She is living the "Up in the Air" lifestyle right now and will probably have a thing or two to say about the best way to pack. I don't know how the girl lives out of just one suitcase. Especially when she has a fashion blog (http://dresstoexpressafashionistasguide.blogspot.com/)! (Little plug for you there, S-cookie!)

So, back to the task at hand. First things first: check the hotel accommodations. Hairdryer in the room? Check. That saves you one less contraption to stuff in your suitcase while trying to keep it under 40 lbs. If you must pack a hairdryer, opt for a travel-sized version or at the very least one of those cord-sucking ones that inevitably work very well the first month you own it and then breaks at 6 am on a Monday morning when you're ready to have a flip out attack. But that first month is pure cord-watching amazement.

Second, limit yourself to a detangling comb (a MUST for the beach) and a round brush. There's a two brush limit on this trip. (These are my rules, you can make your own as need be.) If you absolutely must take a curling or straightening iron, pick just one. Both times I've traveled to Mexico now I've taken my Chi along for the ride. I'm trying to rack up its frequent flyer miles. The one night I used it my hair looked amazing, until I stepped outside. The humidity then poked me in my big, fat, frizzy hair and said, "See, I told you to leave this at home, hahaha." So for that point, consider the climate of the destination to which you are traveling. For Jamaica, I'm going to opt for the waves plus braids theory a la LC from The Hills, but I know my mom won't be able to resist sneaking her Chi along for the ride.

Next on your to-do list, head to Walmart or Target. They sell these amazing travel-size toiletry containers that you can reuse and actually put your own products into. No more spending $50 in the travel aisle! I tried this recently on a trip to Chicago and loved it. For about $10 I bought a clear travel size bag from Target (see image below - left) that came complete with not only the containers but cool labels to stick on, too. It even had a cute, little funnel to help with fill up. Sephora also has a travel bag that's airplane approved but it doesn't come with the containers (image on right). But no fear, they usually sell the containers for $1 each (Walmart is your best bet).



A few products to pack:

  • Shampoo and conditioner - I like to bring a moisturizing one - especially when I'm at the beach (try Bed Head Self Absorbed Mega-Nutrient Shampoo and Conditioner). Or just squeeze whatever you use now into the perfectly measured containers.
  • Face wash - for this one, I usually squeeze my St. Ives scrub into a little jar container to get my pores clean each night. Or I could pack my travel size Proactiv -- again with the decision-making!
  • Face cream - my latest find is Aveeno's Ultra-Calming Daily Moisturizer (with SPF 15). It reduces redness like a gem and works really well with sensitive skin. Just squeeze a small amount into one of the small, round jars that came in your travel bag purchase. I used this on my legs and hands the other day, so it doubles as your body lotion.
  • Deodorant - make sure you find the mini version of whatever works for you. My go-to brand is Secret's travel size Coco Butter Kiss. Make sure you don't switch up last minute, because sitting oceanside in 90 degree weather is not the time to test out new deodorants.
  • Small toothpaste and toothbrush
  • Sunblock - go for the mini version of Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer Dry Touch sunblock in SPF 55. You don't need a giant tube remember, because you can use your face moisturizer with SPF on your face and neck and reapply frequently.
  • Body wash - St. Ive's Energizing Citrus body wash does the trick and the scent is refreshing enough to get me moving even at 5:30 a.m.
  • Eye cream - walk into Sephora, buy one must need item, and then ask for a sample of a really good eye cream. They'll put it into the most adorable baby container you've ever seen. Perfect for squeezing into tight spaces in your toiletries bag.
I know what you're thinking: Amanda, you forgot perfume and hairspray and all that good stuff. This is where you have some free reign. Squeeze some of your favorite hair products into the leftover containers but limit yourself to just one or two (I recommend a leave-in conditioner - Biolage is my fave; it repairs even the driest, damaged hair and the scent is to die for!) There's no need to check a bag for an entire bottle of hairspray that's just going to attract mosquitoes. I dare say one has been circling my head while I write this entire article.

As for perfume, I don't recommend it if you're beach bound. You're on vacation, go with your natural clean scent! However, if you simply can't resist, go with a solid perfume with a subtle scent like Marc Jacobs' Daisy or SJP's Lovely - both available at Macy's counters.



So tune in next week, as I try out some sunless tanners first-hand. Hey, I can't be in a swimsuit in 30 days with skin that matches the color of my printer paper.

Until next time, carry on, beautiful!
Ciao!
-Amanda

3 comments:

  1. great blog. i didnt know about the empty containers, but ONE BAG for vacation, you must be kidding i dont know how to take one cosmetic bag!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing idea. Who knew they sold empty travel-size containers? I just had an entire bottle of Tresemme Heat Tamer unscrew itself and leak all over my overnight bag. Luckily, my King of the Hill DVDs that were along for the ride didn't seem to suffer any injury. I'll definitely keep your tip in mind for my 10-day getaway in July! "Pack light! A pair of shorts and a swimsuit," as my dad likes to remind me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kiks...so I'm a little late to the punch on this blog, but I LOVE that you mentioned the plastic mini containers that you can fill up with your own usual products. I use these all the time when I travel for work and want to have my blonde shampoo with me (that isn't sold in travel sizes). Also, I pack the CVS brand of those face cleansing cloths--easier to travel with than actual face cleanser because you'll run out of clean washcloths on vacation! Also, you can use them on the go when a sink isn't handy.

    Good article as always chica. :o)

    ReplyDelete