Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Fall Hair 2010 - Big and Blonde

Ahhhhh, fall is quickly approaching. I can smell it in the air (bonfire, anyone?). For many this season means finally getting the kids out of your hair and doing some serious shopping and pampering.

Today was the first day that felt a tiny bit like fall (my absolute favorite season) to me. As I buttoned up my new Express long army green cardigan, I noticed the leaves falling off just a few of the trees on Ingleside Road. Another delight when I came home from work: the arrival of the J Crew 2010 Fall catalog. As I peruse the pages lined with velvet boots and cashmere cardies, one of the models strikes me. She has medium length blonde hair, and it's super curly and crazy.



As I scour the web for runway show photos, I can honestly say the verdict is in for fall 2010 hair: go big and blonde or go home.

What surprises me is how so many women mistakenly dye their hair dark during fall/winter. I have been a victim to this color mistake in the past. Fall and winter is typically when your tan starts to fade, and you cover up more skin. This is when you should lighten your hair. When you have a beautiful glowing summer tan, that's when you should try to walk on the "dark side."

For the brightest blonde hue like these looks below, ask your stylist how light you can go. Remember if you go 5 shades lighter than your natural hair color you'll need to get touch-ups every 4 weeks. If you're not up for the maintenance but want to lighten up a bit, ask for highlights 2-3 shades lighter than what you have. And if you're going this light, please do not try it at home. A box of $7 hair color just about ruined me and my sister's hair back in 9th grade. It was the perfect shade of brassy orange! Cough up the extra money and pay a professional.





Volume is another must-have for fall. Invest in a tease comb and get to work! I love the structure and softness on this bouffant from the Vera Wang show.



Don't be afraid to take off a few inches. Just when you think everyone in Hollywood is an extensions-clone, Scarlett Johannson goes and cuts off her long hair. And doesn't she look great! For this look, start with a good thickening spray. Work mousse or cream into roots and let hair air dry. Use a curling iron for the middle of the hair, avoiding the ends. For extra hold, spritz with Pantene ProV Sheer Volume hairspray.



For hair that's seriously stressed out from the sun, or for those of us planning a ditch-work vacay to Maui mid-September -- pack some Aveda Sun Care Protective Veil in your carry-on. Try a moisturizing mask for even more damage-control and schedule a good trim with your stylist for your return home.

And while you're at it, don't forget to schedule a trim for your furry-friend before the winter snow freezes them out!



Have the guts to try a new look for this upcoming fall season, ladies!
Because the same hair is boring hair!

Ciao loves,
Amanda

1 comment:

  1. love your blog ms A everyone vote should i go back to blonde?

    ReplyDelete